LOCAL SCHOLARSHIPS for Panorama High School SENIORS
PLEASE MAKE COPIES OF LINKED APPLICATION FILES TO ENTER YOUR RESPONSES (OTHERWISE YOUR ANSWERS CAN BE SEEN BY ALL WHO OPEN THE LINK)
INFORMATION ON THIS PAGE IS UPDATED AS LOCAL GROUPS SHARE WITH GUIDANCE OFFICE EACH SCHOOL YEAR - STUDENTS ENCOURAGED TO SUBMIT APPLICATIONS 2 WEEKS BEFORE DEADLINES GIVEN.
All Seniors Encouraged to Apply for these local scholarship awards
- IF SCHOLARSHIP IS ITALICIZED THIS MEANS THAT THE DEADLINE HAS PASSED AND APPLICATIONS HAVE BEEN SUBMITTED.
- Most of these Scholarships are for current high school students only.
- *** indicates that the scholarship can be applied for by current college students. Please see scholarship for details.
- Typing on pdf applications is possible using KAMI AP or free this online tool allowing for "editing" a pdf file - http://www.pdfescape.com/open/
- UPDATE: Senior Awards Night is May’s third Wednesday this school year (May 17, 2018, 6-7pm), great time to take pictures of our seniors receiving awards, then local Baccalaureate ceremony follows, roughly 7:15-8:30pm
- Families please share awards you would like your senior to be recognized for receiving; send awarding organization name, award title, and award amount (we can create certificate for presentation) to firstname.lastname@example.org & call his cell phone 641-757-1916 to verify
- Seniors; Remember to share a Resume with those 2 or 3 people you choose to ask for their writing general letter of recommendation for you, then include those recommendations & resume with all local applications on this webpage (unless otherwise stated).
Community Award Providers
- we are trying to make all applications digitally accessible & may reproduce a paper form you share with us. Please share updates you need with us.
- SCHOLARSHIP PROVIDERS are encouraged to present their awards but school can do this if you need assistance.
- PLEASE CONTACT email@example.com & call his cell phone 641-757-1916 to verify school is sharing updated information (award name, student directions for applying, award amount, award recipient, method of money disbursement)
Open only to Panorama graduates;
Consider applying with these directions, BurchfieldTrustLoanApDue06172016 pdf file at bottom of this page & weblink above as google file, provided through Bump & Bump Law Firm for loan to help pay for college expenses. Must contact Bump & Bump Law for application details each year; 755-2131. Cost and 3 month grace period after college graduation, or end of college coursework, is fantastic when compared to governmental and private college loans. Bump Law sends information is sent to families in February and May.
LOCAL SCHOLARSHIP GROUPS USING THEIR OWN APPLICATIONS & DECLARING DEADLINES
1. "Mr. J" Scholarship in honor of Principal Mark Johnston -
The amount and number of seniors awarded for this scholarship will vary annually, return this linked "Mr. J" Scholarship Application to the guidance office by May 4.
2-5 In order to apply for the following four scholarship programs, your parent(s) must be a current customer of Panora Telco. Visit http://panoratelco.com/about/community to access the eligibility requirements, rules and applications:
2) Panora Telco – Local program, two $500 scholarships are awarded, deadline is Noon on Friday, April 20, 2018, to PHS guidance office. Application is online at
3) Iowa Communications Alliance Scholarship - Iowa program, one $1,500 scholarship is awarded and is renewable up to 4 years, deadline is March 13, 2018. Application is online at http://www.iacommunicationsall.org/scholarships
4) Foundation for Rural Service (FRS) Scholarship - National program, FRS offers several scholarships to high school seniors who have been accepted to accredited 2 or 4 yr college, university or vocational school, deadline is March 1, 2018. Application requires sponsor signature from NTCA member (which you can obtain at our local Panora Telco office at 114 E Main Street). Application is online at https://www.frs.org/programs/scholarships
5) Aureon Scholarship - Iowa program, one $3,000, two $2,000 and three $1,000 scholarships are awarded, deadline is Midnight on March 1, 2018. Application is online at https://pages.aureon.com/acton/media/18184/scholarship
6. Guthrie County State Bank presents the Trudy K. Straub Award to the Outstanding Speech Student Application;
$500 will be awarded (a maximum of 4 times) at awards night along with directions for receiving future funds, submit letter of intent & resume style personal profile sheet to guidance office following these criteria used to determine award recipient:
Participation in individual &/or large group speech contests should be included on personal profile sheet (will be verified by school)
Enrollment in college with intent of completing a 4 year program (college plan statement should also be included on student profile sheet)
Typed letter of intent; minimum of 250 words, indicating course of study and how plans include the art of communication
Criteria for award in 4 areas: participation, attitude, letter of intent, GPA
Due Date May 1st or as arranged with Mrs. Arganbright (any interested student should be in communication with Speech Coach Deb Arganbright).
Guthrie County State Bank will present award to recipient at Senior Awards Night
8. Republican Party Sponsoring 2 Scholarships:
Guthrie County Republican Central Committee Scholarship and The Doyle G. Beeber Scholarship each use the same application, due April 27, 2018 .
$250 for two Guthrie County HS graduates planning to attend college with at least a 2-year course, "Please have student who apply complete the application and write an essay on "What it Means to be a Republican"... Award Directions specify 1) Send in ap with 250-500 word essay, 2) Must be Guthrie Co. resident, but your HS doesn't need to be in Guthrie Co., 3) College/Vocational school you plan to attend must offer at least a 2 yr course, 4) Scholarship will be announced at awards or graduation ceremony to two winners, 5) $250 check will be handed to winners at December meeting, 2018. Winner must contact Rita King by December 1, 2018 with intention to attend, 6) Mail application & essay to Myrna Beeber, 3180 165th St., Yale, IA 50277, or email to IowaGram@regan.com, 7) Include photo/graduation picture of yourself which can be used for publicity should you win, 8) Applications must be received by 12 Noon on Friday April 27, 2018.
Or Paper copy of application is in guidance office
10. ***Guthrie County REC (Rural Electric Company)
three $1,000 for member or those who will become educated through power line program to become line worker.
Membership in the cooperative is the first criteria. The applicant’s parent or legal guardian must be a member of Guthrie County REC. The applicant must be enrolled in a full-time undergraduate course of study at an accredited college, university or vocational/technical school.
11. Guthrie County Youth Foundation
This scholarship is $250 for vocational, technical and medical students going to college programs
2 or 3 years in length. Deadline for application is March 31, 2018 (DEADLINE MOVED BACK TO APRIL 11, 2018)
Complete this GCYF Application and the email applications to: firstname.lastname@example.org or mail to: 4718 Panorama Drive, Panora, IA 50216. For further information, please contact Luann Waldo, 712-651-2321.
Four $400 awards For seniors pursuing career in health or medical field, have a 3.0 GPA, due by the 3rd Friday of April (April 20, 2018), use this link to download their application
, include 3 letters of recommendation speaking to your ability to work in health-related profession, include transcript with ACT scores, submit to: Scholarship Committee, Guthrie County Hospital Auxiliary, 710 N. 12th Street, Guthrie Center, IA 50115 (also applications may be dropped off at the hospital front desk).
[At One time - contact shared with PanHS; Jacqcene Richey: 641-332-2424, Diane Flanery also contact; email email@example.com]
13. ***Guthrie County Soil & Water Conservation District (GCSWCD) sponsoring 2 scholarships (no one applied in 2018!)
IF STUDENT WISHES TO APPLY TO BOTH ABOVE Conservation SCHOLARSHIPS, NEED to give 2, 1 for each program (Same application for both)
Deadline of Fri, February 17, 2017 to have scholarships to Soil Water Conservation District offices.
14. First Christian Church
at least $500, open to all, scholarship & financial need considered, Contact – John Millhollin collects April 15; PanoraMasonicLodge.rtf
$500, children of employees are given priority, but all PHS students with interest in business program OR vo-tech field (mechanical, agricultural, etc.) are eligible to apply, to be awarded at end of first semester of college program, SMITH TIRE Scholarship, students who are given the award are to contact Smith Tire the end of their first college term for money arrangements - Deadline is two weeks before Sr. Awards night, or May 3, 2017.
17. *** For: Dean R. Betts Scholarship Trust;
Rachel L. Hensal Scholarship Trust;
Bessie F. Isenhart Scholarship Trust;
Paul & Eleanor Little Scholarship Foundation;
Bruce and Naomi Barks Scholarship; and
Due First Friday in April (April 6, 2018) typically a larger award given to several students who may again apply themselves in following years, Contact – Deanna L. Van Cura, Bump Law Firm (755-2131), give completed application to your HS Counselor: 2018 Betts, Hensal, Isenhart, Little, Barks, Wirt-Mispel Scholarship Application/google doc (fill out and submit once for all of the trusts & scholarships identified above)
18. GUTHRIE CO. CATTLEMEN’s – Annual Due Date of April 1st,
parents or grandparents need to be members, amount and number of awards varies each spring, graduating seniors only, Contact is Rose Kastner, Yale, mailed to Guthrie County Extension office (outlined as step 5, page 2 of link), WordDoc: GCCattlemensScholarshipCWretyped or GoogleDoc: GuthrieCoCattlemanScholarshipAp
19. WSO – Women’s Service Organization, $500 one time award, Contact, Maureen Lubeck,
20. BENNIE F. HALL "PRAIRIE WOODLAND CONSERVATION FOUNDATION SCHOLARSHIP"/description & application link (At least $500), student mails to address provided in application, due April 16, 2018, Bennie F. Hall Scholarship scope encompasses college students studying conservation and outdoor recreation related majors and/or graduating high school seniors that have demonstrated their concern for conservation. ATTACH A 200 WORD ESSAY ON “The roles of hunting, fishing, and trapping in conservation.” or ”What does conservation mean to you and how might Guthrie County enhance outdoor recreation and conservation in the future?
Qualifying applicants are divided into 2 distinct groups:
Graduating High School Seniors who plan conservation related fields as a major in college. Only students that are residents of Guthrie County are eligible and may apply in their senior year.
College Students with Conservation Related Majors that have completed at least their sophomore year in college. Only college students with permanent residency in Guthrie County are eligible and may apply while in or after their second semester of sophomore year.
22. Jamaica Lions Club, $500 for any student planning to attend college or vocational program, to HS Counselor by April 20th, 2017, paying special attention to community activities, return application, Jamaica Lions Club , contact is Mr. Mike Tighe (515-250-7483, email: firstname.lastname@example.org, has asked for Mr. Druivenga to put in his resident mailbox April 20, 2017)
23. Yale Community Club, for students with a YALE ADDRESS ONLY, due date is April 30. Use this YALE Com Club
2014 application form. $500 Award. Return to guidance counselor who in turn give to contact/Kendal & Teresa Kipp. Note - “Scholarship funds will be dispersed upon proof of enrollment for the second semester of the freshmen year - May winners need to give their college fall transcript to Jenny VanGundy at Farmers State Bank of Yale.
24. Farmers State Bank (www.yalebankiowa.com then click Community & Activities to see "Panorama Scholarship" - Two $500 scholarships are available each year to graduating Seniors of Panorama High School. Applicants must complete the following form (https://fsbyalescholarship.wordpress.com/) and submit a video, up to 2-minutes, via YouTube, tagging FSBYale. The video should be a creative representation of why the individual deserves the scholarship. Entries are due by May 1 each year. Each applicant must upload their video, then complete the application including the video link. if you have any questions, please contact Scott Stanley at email@example.com. (old paper applications used in prior years will not be accepted). Winners will be sent letter with date when you can stop at Yale Farmers State Bank to pick up your check.
25. NEW AGAIN ***"PANORAMA FOUNDATION SCHOLARSHIP" @ http://panoramascholarship.org/. May 10 deadline. These anonymous award providers most want to consider all who apply including students pursuing the agriculture and industrial arts fields (plumbing, HVAC, electrical, mechanical, robotics, lasers, wind turbines, etc.), College students who are seeking to again receive this money need to include their fall transcript (upload current PHS Senior Transcript and when at college a grade report from your college) along with the general application online.
26. Flint Hills Resources Discovery Scholarship, $1,500 one time award shared by the owners of the ethanol plant by Menlo, Iowa. Panorama student to receive this award will have a 3.0 GPA, proven leadership skills, intend to purse a career in math, science, engineering, agriculture or related field, has been successful academically in one or more of these areas, and has been accepted to a college or technical school. Complete this application and return it to PHS guidance office by first Friday of April (April 6, 2018)
27. Chapter of BY of P.E.O., $500 awarded ($250 from BY & $250 from PH) will be stapled to certificate at awards night, BY will decide Panorama recipient, Deadline EXTENDED to MAY 5, for Panorama graduating females who plan to go to any college, return application (contact M. Luebeck, W. Steeburg provided P.E.O Chapter BY will award 1 girl - use this 2017 Application link, return to school guidance office).
29. Our valedictorian senior may choose to accept DMACC full tuition scholarship if they have 26 ACT, July 25 deadline or within thirty days of first class meeting.
30. DMACC PATHWAYS SCHOLARSHIP (Flyer Describing Program), $1,000, For students who plan to attend DMACC for TECHNICAL programs (welding, automotive, building trades) & have been enrolled in those DMACC Career Academy program VanKirk Academy at Perry, Iowa, in the Previous Semester, just ask for application at their main desk return completed application there too. Deadline March 31
31. TTT - only those who participated in their sponsored Grade 5 camp are eligible - two female students each class. Please see me to verify your eligibility (remembering you did that summer camp as a 5th grader, then applying in senior year for their scholarship - in 2018 are Ms. Lee and Ms. Flannery).
32. Dallas County Republican Scholarship - deadline is May 31, 2017. Members of the Dallas County Republican Central Committee are offering a scholarship, in the amount of $500.00, to a Dallas County, IA graduating senior. This scholarship is designed to provide financial support to a graduate attending college or a trade school who is involved with the Republican Party. The scholarship is based on essay content, with special consideration given to applicants with a track record of contributing positively to local government and/or campaign activities that are dedicated to the principles of the Republican Party. Dallas County Republican Scholarship Application Link
- Must be a Dallas County Resident.
- Must be graduating & attending a college or trade school in the 2017/2018 school year.
- Must attach a brief letter of recommendation from an adult (not a relative) who can attest to your character and interests.
- Must show through application: extracurricular actives that show service to the community.
- Must complete essays per guidelines below.
- If awarded scholarship, winning applicant agrees to allow essay answers, or segments of essay answers, to be published.
33. Graceland University, Lamoni, Iowa - $55,000 scholarship ($13,750 x 4 years) guaranteed for an Panorama student that takes an ACE Course, such as Elementary Functions with Ms. Jarnagin (free college course following Trigonometry). Just apply to become a Graceland U student during senior year - admission application is a formality because all Elementary Function students are automatically admitted to GU)!
34. AIBW; Class of 2014 & beyond, AIBW scholarship for 2017 will be $400 and the generic application used by the school will accepted AND SO will the specific AIBW 2017 application, return generic application to Mr. Webner by April 27; (Contact Julie Zajicek of Panora State Bank). The AIBW scholarship providers ask that if the general Panorama Scholarship Application is used by the applicant, then a cover letter addresses her specific qualifications for the AIBW Scholarship.
35. UPDATE for Panora Lion's Club Scholarship – $500, Due May 1, see attachment Guidelines for Panora Lions Club Scholarship that includes #5) application will consist of one side of one page, which must be typed and double spaced using 12 point Times New Roman font, #6) Application will include...a. An essay on the topic "Why I think service is important", b. A summary of all service-type projects the applicant has participated in during their high school year. This should include school, church, community and service organizations, as well as any personal service projects. Be complete, as demonstrated areas of service and evidence of growth in service over the years will be an important factor in selection. c. Student's name and signature...7) The application should not include essays written for other scholarship applications or items such as academic or sports achievements. Selected May winners: Once you receive their first semester grade report, they should email a copy of the transcripts to PanoraLions@gmail.com. Then, we will be in contact with the recipient to make arrangements to either send them a check or present it to them at a club meeting.
LOCAL ORGANIZATIONS USING Standard "PANORAMA SCHOLARSHIP APPLICATION"
TYPE your application, attach resume, goal planning statement, 2-3 letters of recommendation, & Submit to Mr. Webner; school will Collect & Deliver your submitted applications
- UPDATE 4/6/2018: Hemphill & Associates, Insurance – $500, Due end of May 1. Winners will be sent letter with date when you can stop at Yale Farmers State Bank to pick up your check (this is not the same as Farmers State Bank Scholarship, number 24 above).
- Panora Chamber of Commerce – 2/$500, will take into consideration students' Entrepreneurship, Involvement, & a Panora Focused body of experiences & personal goals. Mr. Webner will deliver to Dave Grove (Dave Grove & Chris Arganbright) , Due end of first week of April
- Panora State Bank – $500, open to all, financial need important, winners collect award at bank after 1st semester of college (bring your copy of college transcript), Contact – Julie Zajicek (755-2141), Due April 20, 2018
- Panorama Education Association – up to two students may receive $200 year one & possible $300 year 2, minimum 2.65 PHS GPA, education majors with teaching career goal (contact is Julie Weidenthaler), Due April 20, 2018, Deb Arganbright Presented in 2015)
- Panora/Panora-Linden/Panorama Alumni Association is beginning an annual offering a one-time $500 scholarship to a graduate who is going to a college or university. Applicants should be students who are involved in their communities and are successful academically. The local scholarship application can be used. The deadline is May 1st (contact for the Panora, Panora-Linden, Panorama Alumni Club is Jerry Armstrong, Deb Arganbright presented in 2015)
More area $ opportunities...
- Care Initiatives, parent company of Panora Nursing Home and Retirement Living share January 2018 both a Tuition Assistance Program and Student Loan Reimbursement Program, the contact is Mary Staltenberg, HR Manager, firstname.lastname@example.org . Both programs are for their employees and they often employ Panorama HS students - browse job openings and applying using their webpage Career tab - https://careinitiatives.vikus.net/jobs
- TTT for senior girls award, as of Spring 2013, TTT application information was withdrawn from this webpage, but awards will be provided to those limited individuals who participated in their elementary grade camp and are notified by TTT
- Green County Medical Center Foundation ($1,000) and Auxiliary ($500) each provide scholarships, visit www.gcmchealth.com under the "About" tab - March 21, 2018 due date
$ Programs that served many very well before their end -
- Roger Thorsheim Memorial Scholarship from local Knights of Columbus, this award was discontinued in 2015
- Panorama Scholarship - the old Yale-Jamaica-Bagley scholarship account was completely used and closed in 2014
- Bagley Culture Club
- Dominic Higgins Memorial Scholarship